We Care Food Pantry began in 2004 with one simple mission “let’s feed our people”. Over the past 12 years with the help of our community and a dedicated staff of volunteers, we are now distributing 3.2 million pounds of food per year equating to 2.5 million meals. As our ability to procure food increased, we realized that we had moved past the simple mission and moved into areas we never foresaw in the beginning. We have grown outside the borders of Citrus County and are now working with 31 agencies throughout Citrus, Hernando, Sumter and Marion Counties. We have moved on from feeding local neighbors in Homosassa to thousands of people in need throughout four counties.
We Care Food Pantry has also seen its ability to procure food morph into an ability to bring in products to help the underprivileged in all areas of their lives. We have:
- helped establish and maintain a soup kitchen in Homosassa
- supplied mattresses to the homeless
- donated 10,000 eyeglass frames to the Lions Club
- donated books necessary to begin a library at the Boys and Girls Club
- donated books to help the Friends of the Library after a fire
- began a bike to work program
- instituted a medical equipment lending program
- provided fully decorated Christmas trees and gifts to families with children
We Care Food Pantry is very proud of what it has accomplished but we know there is so much more to do. As we move into the future, we will be directing our attention to sustainable programs for the needy in our community such as a home canning initiative, feeding programs for our children and improving the living environments of our homeless to name a few.
However, all of this cannot be done without your help. We Care Food Pantry is unfunded and in order for us to continue helping those that cannot help themselves, we need financial support. No gift is too small. Please look into your hearts and find a way to help out your neighbors in need.